Saturday, April 11, 2009

Nepalese traffic


The plan for today was to take the bus from Pokhara to Kathmandu and then have a look around Kathmandu. I had thought about flying but from an environmental point of view it is of course better to take the bus. The bus was supposed to take 7 hours, it took 12. There had been an accident 50km from Kathmandu, two trucks had collided and turned over. The road between Pokhara and Kathmandu is the biggest in the country (still not very big) and it was completely shut of. After waiting 30 minutes I decided to start walking to get past the accident. It took me almost two hours to go 10km with 30kg of luggage, 20 on my back and 10 in a cabin bag on wheels. I found a bus that was going to Kathmandu and after about an hour of waiting it started moving towards the city. It went for 50 meters, then stopped. It went for 50 meters, then stopped. It went for 20 meters, then stopped. It went for 100 meters, then stopped. It took us 1,5h to go the 30km to Kathmandu. So right now I am rather tired...

Tomorrow I'm meeting with a NGO that are working to help people from the lowest casts in the morning and in the evening I'm having dinner with Tirtha and his wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BlogRankers.com Blogg listad på Bloggtoppen.se